Monday, July 19, 2010

Your first home: Part 1

To my little loves,

I was thinking today how much I have enjoyed you both this summer. I love spending every day, all day with you. I reflected on the trips, the pool time, etc...But, I also thought about the "everdayness" of our lives too. I think it is safe to say that our home is filled with love and good times. And that got me thinking....Will you remember your first home? Do I have pictures that appropriately document this precious space of ours? Will you have a visual of the rooms that were filled with so much laughter and love? Thus, the inspiration for this series of "Tour of your first Home." And because it is easier to do it all at once, I thought it would also be fun to also include a post of our dinner each night along with some of my cooking tips for you to have. Maybe, just maybe is 20 years you will look at this and reflect back to who we were in July 2010. Because, darlings this is our real life.....

A little back story. We bought this house, our first home almost 10 years ago. Our move from Houston to here happened really fast. I think I looked at 3 houses and just felt right about this one. Daddy only looked at this one. And the deal was done just as quickly. At the time, it was huge to us after living in an apartment for so long. We had big dreams about all the home projects we would do and yard work too. Truthfully, we have done almost all of those early dreams to this house. We made it our home. It is not the biggest, or nicest, or most expensive house by no means but it is ours. Each room has been made into space that makes us smile. We thought we would be here,4 maybe 5 years max but 10 years later we are still here. We have outgrown this house in so many ways but something holds us here. The truth of the matter is that we have made it into a space that we feel comfortable and love. One day we will probably move on but it will be so bittersweet. I attach myself to things and how can I ever leave the home that I brought my two babies home to?

Up first, the kitchen. Ironically it is probably the most used room in the house but also the most under loved. However, it was the first room I painted 10 years ago and the same paint is still up on the walls. It remains our least favorite room and was the only hesitation we had in buying this house. It looks a little better today but the pink counter tops still remain. We always said, "Since we are going to only be here a few years let's not put any money into the kitchen." And, we didn't until the last couple of months (mostly from necessity.)

 

Daddy and ampa put all the flooring in and I still love it after all these years. I decided to take it into the kitchen even though I was not thrilled with the brown cabinets against a brown floor. Ideally, the cabinets would be white and the counter tops granite. That fancy stove/microwave and dishwasher have not always been the case. In fact, the dishwasher arrived a couple of months ago after the other one stopped working and we just got the stove and microwave last week. You have no idea how a little appliance update helped! We should have done it years and years ago and had we projected how long we would live here, we would have.
 

Here in lies my current problem. See that large white fridge. Yep, that does not belong here anymore. I want a new one. Daddy says soon as I make room in the garage for this one he will get me a new one. Have you seen our garage?!?
 

 

Not another dish will fit in the cabinets or on the counter top but this kitchen has served me well. I have made so many meals for us, family and friends in here. Every evening about 5, the ipod clicks on, the stove heats up, Camy sits in her highchair and doodle either assists me or does homework at the table. We have laughed and cried in this kitchen....

No comments:

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!