Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Making a difference



The Strategies for Success Team
Lindsey, me, Emma (our chair) & Irene



The Administrators with the students.
President,student, student, student, Exec. VP and our Dean


Very worthy students.

I seldom blog about work but this was a day that I want to always remember. This blog serves as a reminder for me so when I am beating my head against the wall (figuratively, of course) with students who don't care, I want to remember this day. Our Strategies team works exclusively with students who are academically at-risk. These students are on financial aid suspension for academic reasons and the financial burdens only compound the original barriers to academic success. We recognized this need and pulled together funds for a Grant-in-Aid that would be awarded to students who are back on the right track and need a little help until their financial aid is reinstated. After the initial semester we were able to secure an endowment from a very generous donor :) so this award will continue on. We held a little ceremony to recognize the students (these are students who have never in their life have been recognized for academic achievement.) We all got lumps in our throats when our administration walked in- to support us, our students and our little Grant-in-Aid program. The students were phenomenal- each telling their amazing stories of triumph that ultimately had everyone tearing up. It was one of those reward days.... you work months and months feeling like all your hard work is making no difference and then all of a sudden everything falls into place and you realize the impact you have made. We will not save every student, but for those that we do- I feel, we have made a little difference.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!