Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lindsay

She walked into my hospital room six hours post c-section. I was uncomfortable, exhausted and tired of being poked and proded. She looked like she was 16 years old. She stumbled over my name, called Camdyn a "he" and told me she would be back soon to give me a check. We were not off to a good start. That was at the beginning of the night shift nurse change.

She came back to my room for the check. The dreaded part was fast approaching- the pushing on the stomach. The stomach that was just cut open! The two previous "pushes" had been terrible and I was almost angry that she was really going to do it again. I asked (as nicely as I could muster up), "please do it as softly as you can." She complied. Turns out Lindsay is the most gentle, kind, caring nurse imaginable. We were good.

Lindsay soon became my most favorite nurse ever. I was so glad that it was she who removed my catheder, helped me to use the restroom for the first time and helped me to take my first shower. As she left the next morning, she said that I could request her for the next night too. Of course, I wanted her again but the thought slipped my mind as I went through the day. Night shift came and no Lindsay. I called for my nurse, it was time for pain meds.

Lindsay finally answered my page. "Mrs. Wallis, can you believe they did not assign me to you tonight?" "I had to make them change the rotation so that I could be with you again." How sweet! The 2nd night was great. Camdyn slept well and I rested good too. At the 4am check, Lindsay and I had a good laugh when she was listening to my breathing and could not determine my breaths from my Mr.'s snoring. How he got comfortable enough on the roll out cot to snore is beyond me but he did and we had a great laugh at his expense.

Morning came and so did the nurse shift. I did not tell Lindsay a final good-bye as I thought I would for sure be there another night. I did not get a chance to let her know how much I appreciated all her care and gentleness. I want her to know how glad I was to have her as my night nurse and what a difference she made during my stay.

I think next week I am going to put together a "thank you" goodie bag and drop it off at the hospital. She needs to know how much she is appreciated.

1 comment:

The Hooper Family said...

Do it! We gave our nurses and antheislogist (sp) tickets to Kev's series that weekend, and they were so appreciative! They also loved being able to see Laney outside of the hospital!

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!