Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life's Lessons...Take 1



I find myself rushing to pick doodle bug up after school. I cannot wait to hear about his day. Did he get a stamp for good behavior? How did lunch go? Did he stay on green for his behavior card? Did he make new friends? What did he learn? I also ask what was the worst part of his day. At 5, kids internalize and I want an open forum so that he knows it is ok to express all aspects of his day, not just what he thinks Mama wants to hear....

The worst parts so far have been that PE is boring- they just did stretches and the play ground rules. They cannot play tag..."but mama, that is an outside game!"

Day before yesterday, I didn't have to ask about his "worst part." He immediately told me what a great day he had- how he got a sticker for being a good listener and he successfully navigated the "tray" line in the cafeteria. He then said, "but I did have one bad part." He proceeded to tell me that he could not make it across the monkey bars. He could only make it through 3 of the 5 bars and an older girl laughed at him and said, "you are too little to make it across." "She laughed at me mama!" My heart sunk for him...Life Lessons- here they come! I assured him that he would eventually get across the monkey bars and that since it was his first attempt he should not be disappointed- just keep working on it. As for the girl, do not worry about her. Chances are that when she was in kinder she did not make it through them on her first try either. The next time someone laughs or makes fun of you for trying to do something, just tell them "I'm trying my best!" What can they say to that? He got a huge smile on his face and agreed that would be a good way to handle those situations. He did not give the incident a second thought.

Before I could get him out of the school yesterday, "Mama! I made it across the monkey bars." I am so proud of him! He kept trying and got it! He did not shy away because someone pointed out his weakness, yet used that as motivation. He is going to be just fine!

No comments:

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!