Monday, August 24, 2009

Dear World,

Dear World,
Today I submit to you my child...my first born. For today he goes out into the world as a kindergartner! World, please go easy on him. Today is the start of many new things. Yes, it is an exciting time of math, science, reading, making new friends, etc.... But, it is also the start of him entering the real world. From now on, he will be REQUIRED to be at school. His days will be scheduled by state regulations and bells. There are also all the hard life lessons that await him....

As a mother, I have to take a step back and let him begin to navigate the world as I want him to grow to be an independent and productive human being. So dear world, make those lessons as easy as possible for him. Inevitably, some kid will pick on him and there will be times that he is left out of something and as a mother I can only hope those wounds will not run too deep.

As I stood back and watched him line up with his class, backpack on tight, lunch box in hand and pencils for teacher in the other; I watched my child walk away...walking into the real world. I hope that at lunch he finds my letter and remembers how proud we are and how much we love him. I hope that he is having a good day and I cannot wait to pick him up this afternoon.

Sincerely,
A mother's heart

4 comments:

Amy said...

Tears in my eyes...he'll be GREAT, but this momma hears you and echos the sentiments.

Nicole said...

I'm crying too! I hope he had an amazing day: he is an amazing little boy!

The Daniel Family said...

Hope the first day is wonderful and is the start to a fabulous year! The mommy tears will stop eventually...

The Millers said...

I sent you an email about this!!!! Update us on how his day went.
XOXO

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!