Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Working my fingers to the bone all the while with a *happy* heart

It happens every year. I am so excited to get all the Christmas up and start right after Thanksgiving dinner. It is beautiful when I am done and I enjoy it ALOT. But, then about a week before Christmas I am over it. I am tired of the clutter and the dead tree. I hold on to Christmas Day but on the morning of the 26th...it all comes down. Maybe it is my OCD...maybe it is my readiness to start January with a different feel....I love a sparkling, clutter-free home to ring in the new year.

Up early, before everyone else. I start downstairs first, collecting every little trace of Christmas cheer. The fam wakes up and we migrate to the garage. Uh-oh....the garage. It needs a make-over too! I got a new car 2 days before Christmas and she does not fit into the garage without the Mr. tearing down some shelves. Might as well start there. A little demo work and reorganization of all my decoration storage boxes and the garage is done. The tree is out and Christmas 2010 is packed away. Now begins the real work.... (But the next day because that project took 12 hours!)

The upstairs was the first complete clean. Furniture moved around, bathrooms scrubbed, closets cleaned out and carpets steam cleaned....whew! A little new decorating going on too but I still am picking out curtains for our bedroom. Another 12 hour work day.

And then on to the project I am dying to do. It is my little motivation to do things in a certain order. I start with my least favorite thing and work towards what I am most excited to do....keeps me motivated to get to the "fun things." I have been over our living room for a while but was not sure what to do. I do not want new furniture yet...doodle is still way too rough and dirty to do that! So, a little face lift will have to do for now. I had two goals with this room: lighten it up and make it fun. New curtains and throw pillows and little details that make it happier. Pictures to come soon as some of the details are finished.... I sewed for 8 hours yesterday. I don't fancy myself as a seamstress but I am pretty proud of my Anthropologie inspired designs.

All that awaits me is my kitchen. The cabinets need to be cleaned out and baseboards washed. My new refrigerator is set to be delivered in February so I might wait until closer to that time so that I can really do a make-over on the kitchen but as cluttered as the pantry is right now I am sure I will do something in there this week.

In the midst of all this de-cluttering and cleaning are two little helpers. Sometimes requiring me to do the same thing 3 or 4 more times after their "help" and we have to take several breaks for snacks, diaper changes or cuddles but they make my work so much more fun. We crank up the music and "go to town."

No comments:

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!