Wednesday, April 7, 2010

So, here is my issue....I have 1.5 million things I want to blog about on any given day. I want to capture my thoughts during this beautiful time of my life. I want to have these records to go back and read when I am 95 years old. But, posting without a picture is gut-wrenching for me. I'm all about the visual. Seldom do I have the time to post pictures and write at the same time. So, my new thing will be to write when I have the time and put pictures when I have the time. Better to have some of the "story" than nothing at all, right? So note to 95 year old future self: You did the best you could at this point in your life of capturing it all and by the way at 95..... you look marvelous, darling!

Yesterday was exciting well at least from 2:00 on. My morning was sllllloooooowwww. I am not a desk sitter but my schedule was pretty light yesterday morning so I found myself sitting. For some odd reason I have two, bigger than Dallas, canker sores in my throat and they HURT!!! So, a slow morning just meant I had time to sit and think about my poor, unfortunate situation of canker sores. Well, truly my canker sore issue has nothing to do with my story so let me get on with it.

My assistant came in to announce my 2:00 appointment had arrived. She looked at me funny and said, but she is not a student. Odd for an "appointment" not to be a student but ok, fine...send her in. It was a text book rep if you work in higher ed you know what that means (ummm...under my breath...salesman!) How wrong can I be in this situation! I am almost afraid to write this out because I do not want to get ahead of myself or jinx the situation but I have also read "The Secret", so universe....I am putting it out there! The publishing company that this rep works for is interested in talking to me further about writing a textbook for them!!!!! The truth is that I have no absolute idea how to write a textbook and in my attempt to hide my excitement and remain professional I respond with, "I am very interested and I am a hard worker." A hard worker? Really? That is the best that I could respond with in that situation? Give me a D...D, Give me a O...O...R...K! So, they sent out their fishing expedition, I bit, so now I am waiting on a call from the Editor to disucss things further. Remember how I just wrote about being lazy for four months...maybe not after all. It may not at all pan out but just to be thought of is pretty exciting. I was just thinking about having my name on a textbook...it was not until my accountant-of-a-husband asked about royalties that I even thought about this also being a profitable gain too! So all of that was really cool and exciting but doodle was about to steal the show!

I was a bundle of nerves (thank you Type A personality and first-born syndrome)he was calm, cook and collected. I followed suite. He was decked out in (insert fancy name for an authentic Mexican shirt that I scoured dt SA to find) and khaki pants. We arrived at the school 30 minutes early, I am always early (again insert Type A& first-born)I thought that was plenty early. Apparently not, the seating was already full and there was standing room only. Two little girls run up to him, "there is our solo singer!" One of the moms that I know had subbed the day before so she got to see him sing for the school tells me, "get ready mom this is so precious you are going to die." Still, he is as calm as a cucumber. Daddy arrives and takes sissy belle as I had some camera action needing to be done. I maneuver my way semi-front but way off to the side. The kinder students enter and take the stage. Doodle immediately scans the audience. He spots daddy and sissy. Concern on his face, where's mama? Daddy points, he finds me all is good in his world, his people are there. The solo is the last on the program. His teacher finds me and moves me directly to the front as she announces, "you have got to get this on film!" First 4 songs are precious as pie, now for the big solo. He leaves the other kinder students and steps up to the mini stage upfront and takes the microphone. I am 5 foot in front of him and we exchange a glance just as the music beings to play. He did perfect! He even did a little jig that got a great response from the audience. He got all his lines right, pronounced his Spanish perfectly and sang his little heart out! We were so very proud of him! We went out for Mexican food to celebrate and topped off the night with some sopapillas!

1 comment:

The Daniel Family said...

Well congrats to you and your little man! What a huge feat...getting in front of an audience all by yourself! That is AWESOME! And way to go girl...after all the textbooks you have read, you could write one with your eyes closed! Keep us posted! Love to you all!

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!