Thursday, April 29, 2010

*and then he was 6*






Six years ago, at this exact time, I was in a delivery room pushing with everything that I had! My nine pound baby was proving to be a challenge to deliver. For the record, he's never been the norm. After a 20 hour labor and 8 hours of pushing, he was delivered. A standout, no doubt. Twice the size of most babies in the NICU. Instant love. My doodle bug is paving his own path in this world.

I often think that people don't really know the real Caden. He's like an onion with many layers. The outer layers are a tough exterior. He's wild, rough....all boy. He appears to be so tough and unaffected by the world. As you peel away some of those unpolished levels, you uncover a caring, loving, smart...smart boy. A child that thinks way beyond his years. A boy that at night finally slows down enough to process it all. Our best conversations are right before bed. It is these times that I catch the most true glimpse of the type of man that he will be one day. It is a sensitive and loving side that reminds me so much of his father. Monday afternoon I was cooking dinner and as usual, Caden was helping me in the kitchen. I grabbed the top of the can off of my can opener and it sliced open my middle finger and thumb. In the time that it took me to turn around my hand was covered in blood. My doodle caught a glimpse of this and sprang into action. Calmly he directed me to walk to the sink, he ran the water and placed my hand under the water while he went and got a towel. All the while he was comforting me in the sweetest calm voice.

Beyond that level is the core of his soul. It is the sweet and truly good person. It is the concern for others that keeps him up at night...the little boy he heard got hit by a car on the news or praying for a sick friend. It is the notes his teacher sends me. The notes that praises me and declares me the best mom in the world. The true appreciation for me that he incorporates into his assignments.

At six you are so many things, Cade.
- You have never met a stranger. You talk to everyone and know everyone. It takes 30 minutes for us to leave a school function because you can't leave until you have worked the room and hugged every 5th grade girl.
- You are intelligent. You have excelled every expectation in school. You scored in the 99% of the 5 IQ tests you took for the Gifted and Talented Program. You have even impressed your GT teacher and of course won her over with your charm as well.
- You are talented! From earning the solo in the Spring Performance to being the most outstanding baseball player on the field, your talents never cease to amaze us.
- You are confident. So much so that I worry about you balancing that out but that is my mama's heart worrying for down the road.
- You have your daddy's wild hair, you are skinny as a rail and your little knobby knees bring a smile to my face. Your head is big for your body and you still have not lost a tooth. You are just perfect!
- You are into reading "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books and doing really great with chapter books.
- Math is your favorite and you are starting to learn multiplication.
- You want to be a rich...you think you are rich. You want to own a store that sells TVs and houses so you can make lots of money.
- I don't think you have ever spent a penny of your own money. You have it all locked away. Even when I give you money for the ice cream truck, somehow you talk Emma's mom into buying your ice cream!
- At least once a week we have a deep talk about what you want to be when you grow up. Right now you are waffling between a Coast Guard or Secret Agent. You just gave up on being a Ghostbuster because you have concluded that there are ghosts only in New York City!
- Your hands are always dirty, rocks fall out of your shoes every time you take them off and my dryer is always full of strange things courtesy of your pockets.
- You would rather be outside than any where else. When I call you in, your head is usually soaked with sweat, your cheeks are red as a beet and you are out of breath. You know how to play your heart out and you do it every day.
-You have made our house the "go to" house in the neighborhood. I am "Caden's mom" that fetches water, snacks and retrieves the ball from the street.
-I am most proud of you for the big brother that you have become. Never a shred of jealousy or discontent for baby sister. My favorite moments are when I am playing with sister and making her laugh and you too have the biggest smile on your face watching her be so happy.

My dear doodle bug,

As you turn six today my heart is bittersweet. As much as I love to watch you grow, my heart pangs at the idea of you being another year older. Gone is the baby chub and cute little toes. You are a full-fledged little boy. You are my son, my first born and I hope to always hold our special bond. As I stayed awake into the late hours last night, preparing your birthday muffin, decorating your birthday table and blowing up balloons to cover your bed I realized just how much I love to do all the little things because you appreciate them so much. You are the pleasure of my life. We butt heads at times but at the end of the day I feel confident in knowing how much we mean to each other.

So son, go get on that scooter and "tear it up!" Run as fast as you can! Jump on your bed until the springs bust. Play so hard that your little legs tire out. Climb that tree! Play hide-n-seek until dark. Try out for the talent show if you want to. Roll on the floor with sissy belle. Play baseball with daddy in the front yard until there are no balls left to hit. Live it up! Your spark for life is what best defines you. Happy 6th birthday to my favorite boy!

My love for you is boundless,
mama

1 comment:

Amy said...

so sweet...bitter sweet for this mama knowing it will be just a few more blinks before i have a six year old (gasp!!). happy birthday to your little guy:)

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!