Wednesday, November 3, 2010

 


I don't think I have blogged the full story on Camy's bleeding disorder...I've talked it so much but not sure I've actually written it all out. Part of the reason is that everything is still so inconclusive. The last test results by our new Hematologist at Santa Rosa showed she did have low levels of Von Willebrand factor but that her specimen clotted which is contradictory within itself. So we've lived life the past 6 months as normal. She has had no problems at all...which is in no small part to the amazing prayers that are said for her each day. And so, most days we don't even think about Mr. Von Willebrand's Disease! But, then those moments happen that shake me to the core. The first few seconds of seeing blood on her or the glimpse of her smacking her head into something. And then came the biggest of all so far, her fall on the back patio.

What started as such a wonderful afternoon ended in crisis mode. Baby girl took a spill....no, more accurately she face planted onto the saltillo tile. The moment, the sound is forever imprinted on my brain. The look on doodle's face and his mix of hysterical laughing/crying that happens when a 6 year old mind can't process the gravity of what just happened makes the moment all the more vivid.

I was three short feet away, turning just in time to see it and not be able to react fast enough to stop it...guilt, oh the guilt I feel! She laid face down, I swooped her up straight into the crease of my neck. She was hurt, badly and I could tell that from the cry. I dug deep into my mothering instincts and mustarded up a strength that surprised me...a rational thinking in such a dire situation. It must have been 3 short seconds but it was enough time to gather my thoughts before I took action. I expected blood and lots of it....straight to the ER with her Humate P? Call 911? Don't let Caden see this too! Ice, pressure...all the training I have done. I sent doodle to the kitchen to gather ice packs, partly for first aide and partly to get him away so that I could assess the damage without him seeing. I still had not seen the damage on her beautiful face. With him out of sight, I pulled her from neck. An immediate calming went through me....NO BLOOD! None! Zip! She had a bump on her cheek bone that was growing and faint bruising already starting. Relief!!!! A VWD, Type III is not supposed to handle that hard of a fall that well! Thankful I sent the boy for an ice pack, I went into action. We iced, we called daddy and her HTC nurse. We watched for symptoms that never happened and we loved on the baby all night long. Of course, my daylight she looked 100X worse as the bruising darkened and spread. I took her in to see the Hematologist as how can you really be too careful in these situations. All was fine...in fact great, considering. Everyone says, "it does not look that bad!" But to me, it does. I actually am still getting a twinge in my tummy every time I see it. She, on the other hand, minus the first 5 minutes after it happened has not shown a sign that it bothers her in the least.

Tomorrow we go back to Santa Rosa. This time for shots. Because of her VWD, we do shots with them in a specialized manner. I would be lying if I did not say that I am beyond nervous. Last time, it took her 18 hours to clot after shots. My ice chest is already sitting by the front door...Humate P will go in first thing in the morning, our saving grace if you will. Should she run into any problems we will administer her factor and she will clot. I don't want to go down that road but if we have to...what a blessing to have it. The thought of her having to go through all of that tomorrow has kept a lump in my throat for two weeks now. I can't wait for it to be over with.

No comments:

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!