Thursday, January 7, 2010

Parenting, it's a tough job!

Parenting is tough work. It takes patience, consistency and a whole lot of energy. Doodle, for the most part, is a good kid. I know that. However, I also realize he can be wild at times and bossy. Tuesday night was a struggle. He had been at his friend’s house all afternoon and he came home tired and worn out. He bossed me through dinner. For the record, dinner time is serious time at our house. I take great pride (time, dedication, etc…) every evening to prepare a healthy, good meal. We do not eat any processed food and I cook mostly organic. The rule has always been that we all eat the same thing. No alternative meals for anyone. He is a great eater. The problem with your child going over to other houses is they learn “new ways.” He came home to a meal of grilled fish, cabbage salad, Texmati rice and black beans. Ok…so probably not the dream meal of a 5 year old but this is how we always eat and he usually loves it. But, his friend was having mac&cheese and chicken nuggets. So, he could not understand why he had to eat “healthy.” He was fighting a losing battle with me and he knew it.
The rest of the night was just as argumentative about homework, bath time, etc… I did not stand for his sass and this only made him angrier. He went to bed mad. I went to bed proud of myself for keeping calm through it all but also standing my ground on our rules. I also went to bed worn out.
These times are few and far between for us, but when they happen I second guess our parenting. We don’t spank, we are fairly lenient about some things and not about others. Are we making the right decisions? At the end of the day, we do what is right in our hearts. It is hard work but it is my most important work. And just when I think I am losing the battle, he comes home with this….
To the parents of C.W.,
Your child was one of two in his class, to be chosen to test for the Gifted and Talented Program at school. Testing will happen in the next three weeks and permission must be obtained before C.W. can be tested, etc…….
And I swell with pride because despite it all, we are raising an intelligent, well-rounded, awesome kid!

1 comment:

Hope said...

Stick to your guns and don't give in to the pressure; I think it's great that you make healthy meals. Most kids just eat junk these days.:)

About Me

Texas
Live, Laugh & Love...that's my battle cry! I love this life I've been given & blessed to share it with my handsome hubby, MW, my sweet son, doodle bug, and beautiful sissy belle!